Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Fiction, fiction, fiction!



I've seen the movie...so what's the big fuss? Almost every conservative group is all but heralding the end of the world with this movie. I enjoyed the 2 hours and 20 minutes I sat in the air-conditioned darkness with my mother and brother. It was well worth the P110 I shelled out for each of us. Neither of them felt their faith in God waiver, just the one in their fellow movie-goers for not getting the plot hooks and ideas quickly enough.

I really hate the idea there are some groups out there who think it is in their best interest to judge what I can or cannot watch. They act as if they know me and what's good for me. I also find it amusing how these same groups say that the common man won't fall for Dan Brown's heretical theories but "we don't want the movie shown because it might give the wrong impression."

Ha! To me, if your faith is that easily shaken, then you may be better off losing it there instead of on Judgement Day. And if you manage to renew it because of the movie, good for you.

It's not that hard to imagine men (not the Church, mind you) of performing the acts Dan Brown mentioned in his story. The Church may have been ordained by Christ, but it is still earthly institution ruled over by human beings. And human beings can be just as cruel as they are are generous, especially if they believe that they are doing God's will. If you don't believe me, you may want to do your research on something called the Inquisition.

The church is not perfect. It knows this because at every mass, the priest is heard to say these simple words:

"Look not on our sins, but on the faith of your Church."

Because if God did the opposite, I think we would all be looking something worse than getting sunburns and sunstrokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home