Friday, June 03, 2005

Happy Birthday, Mils!

Happy Birthday to my godson, Mils Avi Santos! I can't believe how much he's grown. But then, I haven't seen him in almost 2 years. That was mainly my fault, of course. But I'm glad to see he is doing well and is cute as ever. He looks so much like his dad Marco.

This cute little kid turned 2 today. As a treat, we invited his mom and his sister out to dinner at North Park to celebrate. Being with them was a new and welcome experience. Nels, their mother handled them pretty well. Seeing her in action, I just shook my head at the thought I would be able to take care of him by myself.

I've taken the idea of being a godparent very seriously. Before I said yes to Marco's request, I thought about it for week. I didn't want to be the same type of godparent most people turn out to be (i.e. just buying them gifts and presents when the time came). I recalled what the word meant in my Religion class back in highschool: someone to stand in place of his father in case anything happened to his real parents.

I took that idea very seriously. I was honored Marco thought of me as someone who he could trust to take care his son, especially now that he is away in another country. I said yes, albeit reluctantly. After all, what did I know about taking care of children?!

It saddens me that I was not there at Mil's baptismal. And I'm ashamed I wasn't there for the 2 years he was growing up. I try to console myself with the fact that he as a child, he won't rememeber or think about those times. What matters is now and the future.

To make up for it, I bought him a remote control car. It's funny because it's been a while since I've been in a toy store. I can remember going into one as a child and wishing I had the money to buy this and that. But now that I am an adult and have the money to spend...well, it seems kind of useless to spend it on such temporary things.

Anyway, I chose a blue car for Mils. Last Christmas, I bought him a red one that wasn't remote controlled. Nels tells me that he still played with it. So I knew this would definitely make him happy. I wasn't let down because when he openned it, he squealed in delight. Although I didn't get to capture the sight of him openning his present, I was able to capture him shouting "Ayy, kotse!" (Wow! A car!").

Aren't children precious?! It's funny how somethign so small can contain so much wonder and joy. As I kissed him goodbye, I promised myself that I would take care of him as if here my own and make sure to keep as much of that wonder and joy in him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home