Monday, September 17, 2007

The Prodigal Son...and Kuya

My favorite gospel has always been the story of the prodigal son. I always felt for the older brother, the one who always did the right thing but ended up...well, appreciated but not rewarded.

See, when I was in grade school, my brother wasn't doing so well with his studies. To make him work hard for it, my mom and dad promised him money just to pass. Whereas I got zilch for getting high grades. I can't imagine anything else being so unfair.

But then, when Adrian and I got older, he told me the story about the Prodigal Grandson. It was about us when we were growing up and living with my lolo. Lolo Angel would give me ANYTHING I wanted. I would buy toys and get pizza delivered without having to ask much. My brother didn't. He would point out what he wanted so I could have lolo buy it for me but I'd give it to him.

It took me 15 years to realize this. Even the good guys have their comeuppance. And besides, we never know what happens after the parable, do we? The story of prodigal son is like "a day in the life of...". I'd like to think the kuya was able to accept his brother and say, "Told you so."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home