Monday, June 23, 2008

I Don't Want to Have Kids, Is That So Wrong?

I'm at the stage that I don't think I want to have kids. It's partly for selfish reaons and partly moral objection. Although kids are cute and adorable, they can really get ugly and annoying when they don't do as they're told. It's not their fault; they cannot grasp the concept "schedules" or the "needs of others". They concern themselves with one thing only: themselves.

Now a lot of you might think that my particular line of thinking is crude and one-sided. You would be right about that. I don't make claims of being a saint so you don't need to get out of your seat and hold a prayer rally. I'm honest, which is something most people in this day and age need to be more.

What I am not is in that state of mind where I am willing to put my needs on hold for someone else 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. I don't have the patience to indulge on someone else's whims or stupidity. Most of all, I do not have the moral ground to tell anyone what is right or wrong.

Because that's what parents are (or should be). So that means that if you have to put a hold on replacing your old pair of shoes so you can pay for your child's tuition and other ridiculously expensive fees for kindergarten, then so be it. If you have to repeat the answer to the question of "Why can't I go out with my friends?" one more time without screaming, then good for you. And if you have to explain why a child should wait for the right time and way to have sex without being reminded of your own mistakes, then congratulations! You're ready to become a parent.

But if you have even one iota of doubt that you can do just one of those things. If you don't think you're ready or if you feel you wouldn't make a good parent, then don't be a parent. I don't know if there's a government in the world who doesn't require you get a license before you're allowed to drive. So why aren't parents regulated the same way? Can you think of any other role that has a more significant effect on a human life than that of a parent?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kazzy ^_^ said...

stumbled upon your blog.

i don't want to have kids though i love kids. i mean literally my flesh and blood. i'd rather have an adopted one.

crazy, right?

anyways, i love your posts. :)

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home