Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Washing People's Feet

On Maunday Thursday, the gospel for mass described Jesus becoming the servant by washing the feet of his disciples. To have your master lower himself would have unnerved any servant. Especially if you felt were undeserving of such attentions. Or were uncomfortable letting anyone near your feet. LOL

But Jesus was out to make a point, that what He wanted were people who would serve others. It's a hard road and it's better for them to know what they were getting into. If only someone could tell us that everytime we would make a profound choice.

When Peter asked Jesus that not only would his feet need washing, I almost burst out laughing. Okay, that would have gotten me weird stares and disapproving looks but I could imagine Jesus looking at Peter and saying, "Sumusobra ka na, ha!"

Sorry, Jesus, you know what a smart ass I can be at times.

Peter reminds me of the type of person who wants the "power" but doesn't know what responsibilities it entails. I used to be like that. For a time, I wanted to be a priest without really considering if it was what I wanted. What I wanted was safety - someone to tell me what to do so I didn't feel responsible if I failed. And yet we chaffe when we can't go where we want. So I decided to find another way to be close to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home