Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday has the longest Gospel of any Sunday of the year. It chronicles Jesus last mortal days from the Last Supper to the Crucifixion. I don't really understand why they read the entire story then and not during the mass for the days leading to Easter Sunday. I should probably ask a priest about that.


For those of you who are wondering, how is possible for Jesus Christ to die on a Friday and Ressurect on a Sunday when the gospel states, "...on the third day, He rose again." That would have been only 2 days.

Simple, if you consider that the third day doesn't relate to his death but rather to the suffering he endured during his journey to Calvary. It wasn't phrased "after three days".


I found the Gospel bit confusing in it's portrayal of Jesus Christ. He seems quite...inconsistent. At one point, he is calm and sure of Himself while being questioned by the Pharisees and Pontius Pilate, in the next he asks God why He has forsaken Him.

But then, when you're human, you don't really act consistent. That's why we have the term "human factor" to denote those outcomes that are opposite of what is expected. I guess when you are facing your imminent death - regardless of whether you are certain of being ressurrected - you still fear the pain and the uncertainty. The fact those who told Him they loved him and would follow him were falling asleep just made him feel more alone.


The mass started late so my dad was upset. One of the lay ministers tried to placate him. I was annoyed both at their argument and the fact the priest was late. These things happen. You can't expect perfection from a human institution. Still, it just makes me feel irritated. Maybe because seeing someone who encourages others to be prompt becoming late just doesn't inspire me.

The Lay Minister tried to explain that the priest had too much to do. He had a mass, a baptism, another mass and several other tasks to accomplish for the day. He (the priest) hadn't even had breakfast yet. All I could think of was, the Lay Minister was making excuses for him. All he really said was that he didn't know how to organize and schedule activities. If you can't handle the number of things you need to do, change it. I don't think a lot of people would mind, especially if they knew you were the only priest in the parish.

(Don't even get me started on that.)

Of course, this doesn't happen often. But once is usually enough for some people. I thought about it and realized I didn't have the right to be bothered by it. After all, he probably had his reasons. It's not like he said, "I think I'll be late for the next mass. I want to watch the Pacquia/Morales match."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home