Sunday, October 21, 2007

Discussions After Mass

My brother and I went to mass and at the end, he asked me several questions. Rather than go through them one at a time, I'll just write down what I answered:

No, I don't feel incomplete whenever I fail to go to church on Sunday. I don't feel God loves me any less. Because if that were the case, then God's love is not as unconditional as they say it is. Like the father in the gospel of the "Prodigal Son", the father loves his sons, regardless of what they do. That is why when the youngest son returns, he welcomes him back with open arms.

God is omnipotent; He doesn't need us to do anything for him. What He want is for us to do things for others. He doesn't need our prayers, he wants us to offer it to people who need it. He doesn't want our good deeds, he wants us to help people who can't help themselves.

People often pray because they want things. For a time, I stopped praying because I found it selfish how I kept asking God to give me things that I didn't have. In retrospect, I had them all along. Or rather, I could make them happen but I just didn't have the patience or the perseverance to make it happen.

Now, I've started praying again. I still ask God for things but not for myself. I ask Him to watch over those I can't because of distance and circumstance. I try to remember to thank Him too. After all, those he watches over are still safe. If there's one thing I learned at work, it's to appreciate the things people do well, even if it's their job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home