Monday, January 21, 2008

Rite of Passage

Today, I am a man.

Okay, not really. But still, I did what any male capable of driving should do: fix the car. Or rather get someone to fix it. Either way, what ever problems it had is now fixed. It cost a pretty penny and I spent an entire day waiting, watching and asking questions. But I got it done.

Normally, it's my brother who does this. He's the more mechanically and socially inclined. He works well with people and machines. Whereas I pretty much keep to myself and let other people do the talking. But recently, Adrian decided I should learn to do these things. Especially since I have the time (re: unemployed). My lazy ass should be put to better use than just taking up space.

So I went to the mechanic, watched how they did what they did, asked questions so I could understand it and pay them their due. I think I did a pretty good job. Especially with the asking questions part.

I'm usually quiet and unmindful of other people until they decide to talk to me. I'm used to being the go-to guy. This time around though, I acted as the I-haven't-got-a-clue guy. Wasn't so hard seeing that I really didn't have a clue. But they were patient enough to answer my questions.

One thing I do not like to do is bargaining. I pretty much hate trying to haggle with someone. But apparently, it's expected. Which is why some merchants put the price high. Still, I think it's not right to do either (raising the price and asking for a discount). I especially don't like it when people do it in a department store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home