Wednesday, February 06, 2008

One Month and Counting...

So it's been a month since I resigned. Honestly, I didn't take into account it would take this long to find a new job. I've been to 7 interviews and 2 online exams. I've applied to 12 different companies and got rejected by 2. The others are taking their sweet time.

I guess I didn't to take into account that companies wouldn't be trying procesing applications quickly, no matter how much they are in need. I also didn't take into account that you can't be honest, that not all people who interview you are qualified and that they might simply pumping you for info regarding their competition.

So, to commemorate my first month of being unemployed, here are a few tips for you:

- Do not tell them the truth. Companies aren't interested in the truth or your opinions. They just want to hear what a good drone you can be. I was asked if could think of a reason why they wouldn't hire me, I told them the truth. I told them that I wasn't interested in maintaining the status quo; if there's something wrong going on, I wasn't about to sweep it under the rug. I would do what I could to correct it. I got a text message that I didn't qualify for the position the next day.

- Make sure the people who interview you are qualified. I went to an appointment, expecting to be interviewed by a manager. Instead, I was interviewed by team leads, the same position I was applying for. They asked me all kind of questions about statistics and programs I made to improve performance of my team. They wanted to know how much improvement in percentage the program resulted in. WTF?! If you want a feasibility study, you should go back to college. Any supervisor worth his salt knows that you can't measure performance by incremental percentages. It was like being asked to study for a Trigonometry exam but the test was for Algebra. You knew how to find the answers but it was annoying to be asked a different set of questions.

- Expect bureacracy. Regardless of how interested (re: desparate) a company is in filling positions, they are never as efficient as they need to be. They can also be very picky, especially for manegerial positions. So it will take some time before they get back to you. If possible, be sure to bring several copies of your resume.

- Don't forget to ask questions. A lot of the time, these people will be asking questions about your company as a way to gether intelligence. Can't believe how many tiems they asked me for my salary and my benefits. So do some research and ask them some questions too. Especially ones that will make you decide whether or not it's worth to take up their offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home