Monday, November 15, 2004

Forgive & Forget

Is it possible to forgive but not forget? A friend once told me that she would forgive me for any any transgressions against her but she would not forget. I didn't really know what reprecussions were for either of us back then. But now, I understand.

I don't think you can truly forgive anyone without "forgetting". And by forgetting, I don't mean not remembering what they have done in the past. Because that would only lead to making the same mistakes over and over again. Whoever coined the phrase should have used a better word but I don't think it would have been catchy if it were "forgive and let go". That's what I think the phrase really means.

We have to let go of our anger, our pain, and our fear of being hurt. Because, even if you were to forgive but not forget, you will end up holding their sins against them. In a sense, we have never truly forgiven; we have simply put off our emotions until the next time.

I'm not saying that people don't have the right to be mad, hurt or scared when someone betrays their trust. But if they truly wish to absolve someone of their sins, then they should wait until they are ready to let go of their pain and start over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home