Monday, September 13, 2004

Taking Pictures

If there is one thing I do not like to do, it is having my picture taken. I'm honest enough to admit that I am not photogenic. Some people were born to be in front of the camera. They may not be that good-looking but there is just something about them that clicks with the camera.

What I do enjoy is working on the other side of the lens - taking pictures of someone or something else. I don't have a special camera or equipment. Heck, I don't even know the difference between color saturation and gamma lighting. I usually make use of my phone's camera which, by photography standards, is mid range to low end.

My current favorite subject of photography is flowers. There's just something about a blossom that calls out to be captured in film (although with digital photography, this would be erronous since it doesn't use film). I suppose it's because flowers, like most things in life, change over time. Slowly, but surely, they make that inevitable way towards decay.

So what better way than to preserve that moment in time as a photograph? But seeing it is not enough. When I take a pciture of a flower, I usually take several and retain only the one that I like. And what I like is being able to invoke a certain kind of feeling in the viewer.

Flowers, for the most part, invoke three of your five senses. It's a tie between sight and smell. The third, one that is often unappreciated is touch. That's what I see to capture when I take a picture of a flower. I want the viewer to say, "I can almost feel the petals just by looking at it."

=====

Now, before you go wondering if I'm gay. Let me say something that I told my mom when she was about to say the same thing:

"I am not responsible for people's assumptions or their stupidity about me but I reserve the right to laugh at their mistakes because of it."

2 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Aldwin Christopher said...

I knew you'd agree, my friend.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home